HISTORY OF THE WARSAW METRO
Mister M presents
Warsaw Metro Museum
The Warsaw Metro (Polish: Metro Warszawskie) is a rapid transit system serving the city of Warsaw, the capital of Poland. It currently consists of two lines, the north–south Line M1 that links central Warsaw with its densely populated northern and southern districts, and the central segment of the east–west Line M2. A third line (M3) is under construction.
The first section was opened in 1995 and gradually extended until it reached its full length in October 2008. There are additional plans to construct two more stations on this north–south line omitted during initial construction due to costs. The contract for the construction of the initial central section of the second line, running east–west, was signed on 28 October 2009 and construction began on 16 August 2010. The initial segment of Line M2 was opened on 8 March 2015. This section is 6.3 kilometres (3.9 miles) long (including a tunnel under the Vistula river) with seven stations, one of which (Świętokrzyska) includes a transfer between the two lines. The line is currently being expanded.
In 2009, the Warsaw Metro won two "Metro Award" prizes in the categories of "Special Merit Award for Commitment to the Environment" and "Best Maintenance Programme". These were followed by the Most Improved Metro award in 2011. The system consistently receives very high ratings among its passengers; a survey conducted in September 2014 indicated that 98% of the respondents rated it good or very good.
Plans to build an underground rail system in Warsaw date as far back as 1918, when the idea was first floated after Warsaw regained its status as Poland's capital city. An underground railway system was expected to solve the transport difficulties of the densely built city centre.
The first plans to build a metro in Warsaw were made in the 1920s. The project involved the construction of two crossing lines: the first - in the busiest north-south direction, which will run from the square. Union of Lublin on Muranov and one more, on the east-west axis, connecting Wola with Prague. In 1927, geological drilling was carried out, and then a project was developed for the passage of the metro tunnel, which was just reinforced by the PKP intercity tunnel and the connection of the metro station with the Main Station. Also, negotiations were started with representatives of Western consortia on their financial participation in the planned construction, since the city could not bear such investments on its own.
- April 07, 1995: Kabaty - Polytechnic (11.5 km)
- May 26, 1998: Polytechnic - Center (1.5 km)
- May 11, 2001: Center - Town Hall (1.7 km)
- December 20, 2003: Town Hall - Palace of Gdansk (1.5 km)
- 08 April 2005: Palace of Gdańsk - Plac Wilsona (1.5 km)
- December 29, 2006: Plac Wilsona - Marymont (0.9 km - shuttle only)
- March 20, 2008: Plac Wilsona - Marymont (normal service)
- April 23, 2008: Marimont - Slodovets (1.0 km)
- October 25, 2008: Slodovets - Mlociny (3.0 km)
The Warsaw Metro is one of the newest in Europe, the first and only one in Poland. It was opened in 1995 and consists of two lines M1 and M2 with an intersection at the więtokrzyska station in the city center. The Warsaw metro is notable for the fact that it operates trains of Russian production (JSC "Metrovagonmash", Mytishchi). The network is actively being built and in a few years an increase in the number of operating stations is expected.